Thursday 27 May 2010

Blood needed!

Today while I was listening to the radio I heard an ad looking for blood donors. Besides the drama of the ad, the idea behind it is really good. Blood is a necessity, without it you can't exist! Simple as that!

I can't donate it because of my travelling history and the fact that I'm anaemic but there are so many potential life savers out there and they really should give a hand.
The problem though seems to be that our country is not good at enticing people into donating their precious red lymph... The "save a life" mantra doesn't work that well here so focus should be given on HOW to reward people for their gift.

Granted, I may be a bit biased in my opinion, but I have been living in this country for slightly over 5 years now and, looking for inspiration on a sort of suggestion to help the cause, I came across this: A USA city is encouraging the public to donate blood in exchange for beer.

Well, I think that's genius! What more could attract a Scotsman than the idea of trading their blood for a pint?! That's officially a brilliant idea! I am pretty sure I even read somewhere that they give you a pint of Guiness after your blood donation in Ireland!

Some people think that blood is yucky and well, they can't stand much the sight of it, but did you know that if you replaced your blood with something much more exciting (like Fanta!) you would probably die within 5 years? Shocking but true! HAHA!!!

Come on people, we have more than enough blood in our bodies for it to be ok to part with some!!! There are people in hospitals who need it... and maybe one day that person could be you!
So here is my cunning new plan for the Blood Donor Bank employees: go and recruit people to donate their blood when they are the happiest — at the neighbourhood pub!

Since we're in Scotland, it may just be your best option!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only problem with your cunning plan is that the people receiving the blood might get drunk (or would that be an advantage)?

Dona said...

Ah but you see... they would only receive the pint AFTER they have donated their blood. Kind of catch them as they are entering the pub, offer them a voucher which they can use after they followed you to the mobile unit! ;-)
Would you really trust someone to come and see you after they drank?!?

Anonymous said...

Ah but you see, most Scotsmen entering a pub have already been to several other pubs beforehand, so will already be drunk. Plus, they'll be coming in the front door, out the back door after donating, then back in the front door again (suitably disguised), etc... until they have been sucked dry...

Dona said...

LOL!!! Alright then, I admit defeat...
My cunning plan is indeed flawed!
Though, to go back to your first suggestion, possibly the people receiving blood getting drunk isn't such a bad idea... less need of anaesthetics, me thinks! ;-)