Sunday 23 May 2010

Hello Blackberry!

Blackberry is a fruit... why did they name a phone after a piece of fruit is really obscure to me...

I was trying to find a reasonable explanation for my brother about the name: "Erm... I suppose a blackberry fruit is black with little blobs... so the phone is black with a keyboard!"
Yeah well, sorry, that's the most intelligent thing I could come up with!!!


I have wanted a Blackberry since I can remember but it was not in the range my phone provider held so I always opted for other sort of phones. The one I have now is a touch screen one and it's mildly annoying since in winter my fingertips get so cold that the screen doesn't recognise the touch and I end up looking like a maniac trying to punch a message into the poor defenceless phone which doesn't really care!!!

Since my contract ended today I was due a phone upgrade. I went into the Orange shop and found out that the Blackberry is now available to get.
No-brainer decision there than... I'm getting one!!! Except... there are about 15 different types of blackberries to "pick"! Bold? Curve? Storm?
Since the name unequivocally leads me to think about the fruit, you can imagine I was relying on all my inside strength not to burst out laughing at the poor guy who was trying to explain the difference between the different "berries" as, in my head, I see them all hanging from a bush!!!

I asked for a few minutes alone with the handsets (you know... to think!), looked at them all, picked them up and tried to find differences that could be decisive in my choice but nope... not a clue!!!
Until when the sales guy must have realised that I was indeed unique (to say the least!!!) and had this eureka moment... Left my side, went into the back store and came back with him, the winner, the berry that stole my heart, that caught my little fashionable, terribly stylish Italian soul... The white Blackberry Bold!


And all of a sudden I saw how "Bold" and "berry" can go together, I saw he was different, a "berry" with a twist, and he was going to be mine!




So welcome into my life you beautiful, pearl white Blackberry, though you're albino and not black, I think you and me are special and we'll get along very well as long as you, of course, promise to always recognise the touch of your mistress!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thinkk the name was chosen because it's a fruit, like an Apple, but much smaller and sweeter than what Apple offers.

Get it?

Dona said...

aaahhh... me sees!
Good for them... I hate Apple anyway...

I heard someone saying "the darker the berry the sweeter the juice" somewhere... I must agree (tough my berry is rather pale! ;-)

Dona said...

Dear Dona,
I liked your tentative to understand why your new phone has been called "blackberry".
What is worrying me is that future generations of kids will relate the name "blackberry" to a comunication device, not to the tasty, swit fruit you can pick up from bushes in summertime.
Love, Papinho