Thursday 27 May 2010

Fact: Dogs Can Detect Certain Illnesses

Oh well, as I expected I have been accused of favouring cats over dogs (surprise!!!) so I decided that to put things right I had to find something special about dogs as well...

Besides the funny, loving, crazy personalities they display, that is!!!

My dad owns a golden Lab (or maybe I should say that the golden Lab owns my dad!) and they are inseparable. Leo is the sweetest, most clever, adorable pooch I've had the chance to have around. Yes, my opinion is very much biased but, same as for cat owners, your pet is always the best!

So well, looking up interesting facts about dogs I found that:
- Two dogs survived the sinking of Titanic
- When a dog bays at the moon, it is following its basic instinct to call the pack together
- The phrase "raining cats and dogs" originated in 17th Century England when many dogs and cats drowned during heavy downpours of rain and when rivers burst their banks. Their bodies would be seen floating in the rain torrents that raced through the streets giving the appearance that it had literally rained "cats and dogs"
- Dogs have sweat glands in between their paws
- Dogs are about as smart as a two- or three-year-old child. This means they can understand about 150-200 words, including signals and hand movements with the same meaning as words

The fact that attracted me the most though (and actually that put together a bit of medicine too!) is that dogs are able to recognise some human illnesses and give warning to their owners.
This makes our pets not only great companions but also quite helpful!

It sounds like a Lassie TV episode, but it's truth and not fiction.
Dogs for example can sniff out a dangerous drop in blood sugar in a diabetic owner and alert the person to take action by pawing, licking, whining, or barking.
A few dogs have even been trained and placed as diabetic service dogs as, according to their trainers, their nose for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) is correct 90% of the time.

Dogs are being trained to be alarm bells for an oncoming epileptic seizure too.
As in the case of hypoglycemia they have a talent in smelling the chemical changes in their owner and alert them that something is happening.

So now that I have done my job and put things right with a little post about both cats and dogs I'll leave up to you the choice of your best friend. After all it's just about what you prefer, they're both able to love you, fill your life with fun and keep you entertained for a long, long time!

...and please people, I have no intention of writing a post about canaries, rats or gold fishes so no more complains!!!


4 comments:

Ruth said...

I have always been more of dog-person than a cat-person (being allergic to cats probably has something to do with that).
I had heard that dogs could detect oncoming seizures. Wouldn't it be great if that could be developed just as guide dogs for the blind have been?

My old golden labrador however was so thick she used to try to run through narrow spaces with a big stick in her mouth...it was funny though!

Dash said...

Yeah...I've been telling people for years puppies are amazing! There are currently dogs in the US that can detect cancer from human urine, or so we were told in lectures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dona, pretty sure that dogs have been trained ti 'sniff' cancerous cells in malignant melanoma. Pretty amazing stuff :)

Dona said...

Oh I absolutely love all animals but cats and dogs are my favourite and now I can definitely say that there is so much more to them than what meets the eye... :-))