Saturday 22 May 2010

A summer stroll...

Summer has to be my favourite season...
And no, it is not just because of the heat or the light though they most certainly are welcomed and very much enjoyed, I love summer because of what it brings out in people...

Today I went out for a little stroll with my brother... I love walking in Edinburgh, no matter how many times I go there I always manage to see something that captures my attention!
Today was not different.

While gently strolling through Princess gardens Dani and I stopped to admire how beautiful the outline of the main fountain was against the amazingly blue sky, absolutely breathtaking!


So we had to take a picture together right in front of it, and don't we look smashing?!



It's definitely quite a different experience from the crazy freezing walk we took on Christmas night when everything was icy and the streets were deserted...
Today was hot, not a cloud in the sky and there were so many people around, children playing in the gardens, splashing water from the fountain... People holding ice-creams, wearing smiles and like if they were at some kind of seaside resort, several walked around proudly without their t-shirts... aahhh... have to love Scotland for this, a ray of sun and people lose all sense of shame! They all wear sunglasses, all turn to the sun like sunflowers and all breathe in deep this rare moment of fullness...
And I feel right at home because that's exactly what I love about summer (though I refrained from walking around topless!)

And look who made its appearance!!! The tram was on Princes Street... Mind you, it wasn't going anywhere... but it was there nonetheless, as a gentle reminder to people that this madness is going ahead and we should all cheer for joy. There it was, Mr Tram in flesh and bones (or better in metal and glass) looking quite sleek and I have to say I'm not that impressed but I'm happy to know that at least something is happening on that front and I look forward to be proven wrong!



With all that heat and being about lunchtime Dani and I went into Browns on George Street for a full Scottish breakfast. I couldn't even eat half of what I ordered but Dani thoroughly enjoyed his while I was looking for something inspiring to photograph... and my eyes focused on my cranberry juice.
Have you ever noticed what an amazing colour it has?!... it looks quite like liquid rubies, the colour of a sunset on the Pacific Ocean ... so I had to take this picture and believe me, it was as tasty and refreshing as this picture looks!


After another little while we decided that the crowds were a bit too much and it was time to go back home for a little siesta (yes, we are Italian!) but not before taking one last cheeky picture of me and my new little acquaintance, resting in the sun, guarding the entrance to the gardens, providing entertainment for the kids and finally kindly accepting to become my friend...

What a lovely day Edinburgh has gifted me again with, never fails to surprise me!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those two Italians by the fountain in Edinburgh... what are they up to...? Looks a bit sinister. Maybe if he takes off his dark glasses he'll look a bit less like a bodyguard and thus make you look less like an agent...

Dona said...

Shady people indeed, Andrew!