Thursday 27 May 2010

Fact: Cats Kiss With Their Eyes

Today the weather hasn't been exceptional and I have spent a little bit longer at home than I've been used to in the past days...
While wondering what to do that didn't involve watching silly TV programs, I decided to think about ideas for my blog.

I thought about something medical but I do really need a little break from medicine now that I have just finished my exams so I decided to go for one of my other passions which is cats.
I have loads of funny stories to tell about my furry angels (turning to monsters sometimes!) but I wanted something a bit more factual that would make this amazing animal a bit more known to people.

I found a lot of interesting facts about them which are both interesting and enlightening such as:
- The nose pad of a cat is ridged in a pattern that is unique, just like the fingerprint of a human
- A cat will almost never "meow" at another cat. This sound is reserved for humans
- A falling cat will always right itself in a precise order. First the head will rotate, then the spine will twist and the rear legs will align, then the cat will arch its back to lessen the impact of the landing
- Never feed your cat dog food. Cats need five times more protein than dogs do
- Cats are "righty" or "lefty" just like people

But the thing that really got my attention is that apparently cats kiss with their eyes!

I have noticed it in Sushi, Storm and even little India but I thought it was just my imagination, every pet owner thinks their pet has a loving look in their eyes... But, as it turns out, feline experts all agree on the fact that cats communicate with a slow blink.

With their own kind, it's a peace sign, meant to put other felines at ease.
When aimed at humans, their seductive blink shows affection and even love.
I wondered about it a few times especially with Storm. We got him as a scared little kitty never keen to be held or cuddled and then slowly handled and loved so much to turn him into one of the most loving cats I've ever owned... the twist in this change of behaviour? It only happens with me. He stares at me for hours, without failing, and even after he has been fed he still comes close and just sits close and looks at me with this loving stare in his eyes, slowly blinking.

People can definitely return the love with a long gaze and slow blink as to "blow a kiss" back to their cats using their own language. Well, now I know how to respond!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do recognise that "kiss". My wonderful childhood cat, however, would kiss me by obsessively rubbing the side of his furry face against the side of my mouth - a love-in that was best avoided if he had just eaten his catfood.

Dona said...

hahahaa... Well, that's what Sushi does best and if you remember he lovingly kissed you on the head when you visited...
Cat food doesn't bother me much but it's the whole post "I've-been-to-the-litter-and-cleaned-myself-too" moment that becomes slightly awkward!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, and I took Sushi's kisses (felt more like licks actually) on my bald head as affection, but perhaps it was revenge on your behalf for what you endured during your year of chemistry?

Dona said...

Definitely revenge!!! ;-))