Tuesday 25 May 2010

Smiles

Today the news said that this hot spell won't last much longer so I felt compelled to go out and enjoy it. I put on my summery pretty clothes, chose what music to load on my mp3 player and headed towards town for breakfast at Starbucks.
There are several dotted around the city centre but my favorite one in right on the opposite side from where I come in, I like that one because it allows me for the longest walk.

Under the news that our beloved rainy Scottish weather will be back soon (hurrah from the population of S.A.D. suffering individuals - for those not familiar with the acronym that stands for seasonal affective disorder... indeed SAD!!!) there was a little blob about the power of smiles. Not much, just a couple of lines saying that a smile is contagious...
I have always suspected it but today I was determined to put the theory to the test... and with a sun like this who wouldn't want to smile!

Have you ever noticed how the word "smile" itself actually assumes the position of a smile on your face after it has been pronounced?!

So I started my little uphill walk and I was indeed wearing my smile... And it became clear from the very first 5 minutes that the theory is right, smiles are contagious!
But they are so much more than just contagious...

I had people smiling back at me, I saw people who weren't smiling until when they saw me doing it and then kept on smiling after I had passed by, like if I had reminded them that even just the fact of smiling brings some glimpse of happiness into your day.
I had people nodding at me like in sign of approval, people whom I had never met before (and no, not creeps!).
I got even stopped by the local TV to be interviewed about my opinion on public transport here in Edinburgh and got told that, after looking around for a while, the crew thought I'd be a great person to talk to since I was obviously happy!

And I was!

Sun was shining, I was wearing something pretty, I had my favourite coffee in my hand and I was bringing smiles to my city...

Smiling makes other people happy and you make yourself happy too, I have tried it and I can vouch for it! Smiling is always your best option... now the only thing you have to do is to go out and try it yourself!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I can say smile with a downward curl of the lips and a growl - but then I'm Scottish. What TV programme - I'll have to rush to catch Reporting Scotland and STV News to try to see The smiling Italian Crazy Girl in Edinburgh.

Dona said...

It was STV... they said the footage will be part of a documentary about public transport and Trams in Edi which will be aired in September... I told them I loved the buses but I wasn't very kind about the trams though so I'm not sure I'll make the cut, LOL!