Sunday 21 September 2008

Remember...

Today my Sunday School group was supposed to sing to the congregation for our Harvest service...
I have to say I felt quite nervous... We hadn't rehearsed the song nearly enough and, though the kids were shouting the words and doing the actions quite well in the safety of our class, they ended up being petrified once in front of the crowd and almost didn't say a word...
What a shame, they are so good at singing!
I suppose the next time we should make sure they know there is nothing to be afraid of... and yet, they are only kids so it's easy for us to say "Don't be scared" but aren't we just the same when it comes down to adult stuff?

The reason why I say this is that lately I have lost sight of a few things...
You know how it is when your head is so filled with stuff that you couldn't possibly fit any more in?

The flat to sell, the mortgage to rearrange, the husband on the other side of the world, the family in another country, the bills coming in, the volunteering to do, the friends who need help, the big decisions to make, the sick cat...

But more than anything the competition in my class to get into university...
A lot of what ifs and many, many doubts...

Can you spot what I have forgotten? Or who I have forgotten, I should say...

So today while I was looking at the kids and thinking in my head "Come on kids, you're great, don't be scared!" I could swear I heard a word...

"Remember" it said...
Remember? What should I remember?

And then it was so clear!

Remember who are you doing this for...
The people who won't be otherwise able to afford medical care, you are their chance!

Remember this is not a job...
This is a mission!

Remember who you're doing this with...
God carries me!

And all of a sudden all I have been worried and scared about pretty much vanished.




3 comments:

Joy Aquino said...

very true. sometimes we are so caught up in things that we forget about Him and His purpose as to why we are here.
Take care.

Joy

Jac said...

So true Dona. I have to remind myself of that often...

Wilson Family said...

So true Dona - you have stated it so brilliantly! God bless!
Lillian