Monday 15 August 2011

The stone

A few days ago I posted this as my status on Facebook:

**The Stone: the unaware stumbled on it. The violent used it as a projectile. The builder used it as a corner stone. The camper, tired, sat on it. To the children it was a toy. David killed Goliath with it. Michelangelo made the most wonderful sculpture out of it. In each of these instances the difference wasn't in the stone but in the people. There is no stone on your path that can't be used for Your Growth...**

I reckoned that would be an inspiring thought for the day, so I posted it an
d went on with what I had to do.
Fact is that this quote kept on popping up in my thoughts for the entire day, randomly, just when I had a choice to make or an issue to face.
I have never really realised how many times we can decide to be the “better person” even in just the space of one day.

There are so many “stones” dotting our path at all times.

Someone cuts you off driving? Deciding not to yell insults at him is already using the stone as an opportunity to become a better person.
Someone who hasn’t been a good person to you needs help? Holding your hand out to help despite instead thinking “actually you deserve every bit of what is happening to you” will make you grow and teach the other person an important lesson…

I’d rather be considered too good, even naïve, because I decide to use every stone I encounter as a stepping stone to elevate my path, than get my “revenge” on life by not putting forward my best side.

I don’t always manage to do it, but I try and I guess that’s as good as it gets.
It’s not exactly turning the other cheek but it’s more like making the best of what you’ve got and getting some sort of sense of satisfaction out of your daily interactions and situations.

If I didn’t do that I may end up being richer, more popular, more powerful but I’m happy that my richness comes from doing something good for my soul, my popularity is with the people that count in my life, and my power stands in the ability of deciding against the society standards and choosing what I believe is right thing to do according to my values rather than being lured into the wrong behaviour for the wrong reasons.

So yes, stones are very welcome in my life, I may get hit by a few, but mostly, they make for a good “stairway to heaven”!





No comments: