Monday 15 August 2011

Magic

This stay in NYC has brought many "first experiences" into my life.
I love learning new things, love pushing myself to my limits, love the inquisitive nature I was gifted with because it brings incredible thrills and great joy to my days.

A couple of weeks ago I said yes to a class of flying trapeze (I will blog about that soon enough) but what I want to talk about is what happened after.

Once I said goodbye to the friends "flying" with me I found myself in Eric's company.
Eric is a new friend I had the pleasure to meet when I arrived at the end of June.
On his business card there is the word conjurer... The sound of it is quite enticing, don't you think?

According to the dictionary to conjure means:
* to summon something by magical or supernatural power
* to influence or effect by or as if by magic
* to perform magic tricks especially by sleight of hands
who knew???

Chatting all our way back to Manhattan, risking of being a bit cheeky, I gathered the courage to ask him if he would ever reveal any of his tricks; if he was willing to teach something, for as simple as it may be, to someone who didn't really have a clue.

When in answer to my question he asked me if I was interested in learning something, you can imagine I jumped at the opportunity!!!
Two minutes later we were happily walking towards his apartment to find a deck of cards.

I figured that by being so close to him, without an audience as you may have in a big show, I would have a perfect vantage point to figure out the tricks on my own.
Eric kindly performed several things in front of me, and just when I thought I had spotted the wrong movement and was ready to say the infamous "Aha! I got it!", it always turned out I didn't get it at all...

Because of my curious nature I tend to be distracted a lot, I love to observe my surroundings. I was in a new place, full of super cool things, and yet not once I took my eyes off Eric's hands such was the allure of his movements.

And that made me think...
I didn't notice the time flying, I didn't notice all of the little details that I would have normally taken in, I did not feel tired despite standing for a long time, did not feel hungry despite realising later I had had no dinner that night, I laughed, I got frustrated, I cheered...
And when I tried to figure out how could it be possible to be completely unaware of one's own state, that's when I got it... it was magic!

But not that kind of magic that Merlin the wizard would perform and that, quite frankly, just reminds me of Disney's Fantasia... I'm talking about real magic (though you may argue that it isn't so...).

The kind of magic that you know it's a trick, the one that another person, as human as you are, has the power to perform while you look in awe, the one that you are perfectly aware that if you'd learn the hand movements and the distraction techniques you would be able to manage as well... but it's the magic that makes you forget about your surroundings exactly because you don't know the tricks, don't know the movements and, as much as you're hoping to be able to say "Aha!" at some point, you really know that in the bottom of your heart what you hope for is that you won't get it because that's what makes it special.

It's not the trick itself, it's what it provokes in the observer. It's the fact that for a brief moment in time, things aren't clear anymore, the impossible becomes possible and the childlike figure that we all harbour inside us comes out giggling with joy!
Magicians trick our brains and hold our hearts!
Eric explains this rather well in his blog.

I have already charmed people with my newly found magic skills (yes, despite being rather hopeless as an enchantress) I did learn one of Eric's tricks and have used a few adaptations of it.

Would I ever reveal the secret behind it? No!

Not just because it is indeed the only one I know, but because deep inside I'm sure I'd take away the real enjoyment from people.

I may have said this in a very simplistic way but what better way of describing something than through the simpleness of the feelings that it arouses inside you?
And as for Sherlock Holmes a truth was quite always "elementary" (poor Watson!), so it is for me when I say that now I know what the expression "Magic is magic" really means!


This is my friend Eric

No comments: