Wednesday 10 August 2011

Mona Lisa is addicted to coffee...

Art in it's proper form... and who says that art has to be on a canvas or carved in marble?

If you are like me, you'll find this piece of news fun and inspiring!

Every year, in Sidney Harbour, there is a running of free events proposed to celebrate Australia day. One of these is the Aroma Festival which is held at The Rocks, which for over 100 years was the hub of Sidney's international trade.

The Aroma Festival is a sensory overload and indulgence with the bite of brewing coffee, the strong explosion of spice as it hits the nose, the smooth quality of chocolate as it melts on the tongue and the clean flavour of the first sip of tea.

It's during this event that a group of people recreated possibly the most famous painting in the world, the Mona Lisa, using cups of coffee.
To be exact, they used
3,604 cups of coffee and 564 pints of milk.

To create the different colours they added no, little or lots of milk to each cup of black coffee.

The "painting" took a team of 8 people and 3h to complete and measured about 6m high (20ft) and 4m wide (13ft).

I found this quite inspiring! I have seen this painting reproduced in so many ways and with so many materials, printed on t-shirts, postcards, drawn on sidewalks, in bookmarks... but with coffee? That for sure has to be a first!
And possibly it's because Leonardo Da Vinci was Italian, possibly because I have a soft spot for this painting which I actually managed to see at the Louvre museum in Paris but I so wish I could have been there to admire this drinkable masterpiece!

Many people have wondered about Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile... I don't know what Leonardo saw when he painted this lady, but I do know for sure that I would be smiling in exactly the same way if I was surrounded by enough coffee to last me for my entire life!!!


No comments: