Monday 15 August 2011

It's a bird! It's a plane!... No, it's dinner!!!

I find myself always looking up when I'm here in NYC.
I love to see the skyscraper's tops, I admire their outline, their poise, the feeling of strength they convey...
Ah to be a bird and get close to the top!

It may not be that easy to become a bird but it certainly is easy to just float around that top now.
All thanks to Dinner In The Sky.
I came across a TV advertisement for them and decided to look them up and see what the great fuss about them was.

It turns out that they hold the key to an amazing concept.
Well, amazing if you don't suffer of fear of heights that is!!!
Yes because they come with a platform suspended up to 50m above ground where dinner is
served!

Diners sit in a seat that resembles one you might find in a race car, with everyone wearing a seat belt. This may detract from the allure of the formal setting but given that it's a quite a drop, I doubt anybody would ever complain!
This platform is purposely built and seats 22 guests with the centre reserved for the chef, his assistant and sometimes even an entertainer. In addition, a second platform can be hired to provide further entertainment such as a band or a stage for business presentations.
Needless to say that the food is some of the finest and one can just sit there and relax taking in the wonderful sights feeling a bit like a bird but without putting in any effort to use their wings.

I thought this concept was available only in the US but it turns out that it is offered in over 30 countries and I was rather surprised to see that even my little Edinburgh is part of the lucky locations on that list.


Look at these pictures!

Edinburgh

Paris

Las Vegas

London

If you're wondering what happens if someone needs a bathroom that's easy: the crane lowers the platform so that person can use the regular earthbound facilities...

Dropping a fork during a meal, however, could cause some problems!!!



No comments: