Sunday 28 June 2009

Clever country

At the moment we must catch the sunshine as soon as we can.
Looking at the satellite pictures there's a big cloud right over Cancun so we know it's not going to shift in a couple of hours.


I feel a bit like at home, were it not for the difference in temperature, where literally everyone sprawls outdoor as soon as they can see a ray of sun. So it is here today...
Sitting on our terrace we wait for the sun to come out from behind a cloud to run by the pool and then run back 20 mins later when buckets of water are chucked down on us.


"What is the point in running back and forth from the room Dona?" Asks my long suffering husband who instead supports the school of thought that, since you're getting wet anyway, you might as well keep inside the pool.

And he may be right... the pool has a swim up bar (so typical in all inclusive resorts!) a restaurant built right on the edge of it, steps at different levels so you can decide how much of you is actually getting wet, a sheltered area for when it does rain and a proper section with chairs, Jacuzzis and cabañas for when the sun does come out.

I frown... "You know I get cold if I spend too much time in the water!" I try to explain...
Stuart laughs, he knows!


So I'm off to spend some time at the Spa which is covered and I leave hubby sitting at the swim up bar with friends thinking that besides the ruins and swimming with the dolphins this set-up is the reason why people come on holiday here.
Good weather, free drinks and food, amazing service (needs tipping however!)
And tipping makes the world go around, for sure it does in tourist destinations and it's while I ponder tipping that I realise that I have all the money in my bag and Stuart is left at the bar without any.

So I run back trying not to slip on the wet tiles (what a show if I did!) and tell him that I have the pesos and ask where does he want me to leave them
He chuckles and tells me he actually has taken the money from my bag.
"What? And where is it?" I ask
"In my pocket!" says he, like if it was the most natural thing to say... which it would hadn't it been that he was sitting in the pool.
"Eh?!?" is all I manage to answer back
And then he realises what is going through my brain and says "Oh, don't worry, the money is waterproof!"

So I stand there, a bit dumbfounded but not even that much.
Someone who likes logic like me cannot fail to appreciate the fact that, in a place where tipping is everything, they made it easy for those sitting at the swim up bar not to find an excuse for not carrying money on them or if the consumption of alcohol becomes too high and one forgets having money in the trunks pockets it would still be good for tipping after all...


What a clever country!

No comments: