Saturday 6 June 2009

A good night out?

It's friday night (or more Saturday very early morning) and I can't sleep...
So I looked out the window and saw two guys and a girl staggering home after a night out in the town... NOT a pretty sight!

Since when I live here in Scotland I am trying to understand what makes a person go out on a lovely evening looking like a human and then show up back home in the middle of the night (or there about...) looking more like a slug than a person.

What is the appeal of spending loads of money on alcohol to then see it all going down the drain (and I do literally mean DOWN THE DRAIN) a few hours later.

I'm sure this post may elicit some offended responses from some of my friends but this is my place to express my opinions so I don't really care...

Call it different culture, call it different generation but I honestly can't grasp the fascination with pubs and nightclubs. I love dancing, I honestly do and if I could find a club which plays the kind of music I like at a decent volume (because my ears do work still quite well and anything over 90 decibels is annoying!), with decent people around (I don't like to be looked at like if I were a walking burger!) and which served possibly a couple of alcoholic drinks tops per person (because as I said, I don't understand the "getting pissed" fascination) I'd love to go...
But seen the habits around here I would most probably be one of the very few customers there... and I do still wonder why...

I'm not pointing the finger but yes, I am being a bit judgemental about it.

Because I strictly avoid many places I would maybe like just because people go there to get wasted and, though I am not imposing what I wouldn't do on others, I find it unnerving when they try to do that to me. Some people on alcohol get violent and that's not my cup of tea.

Whoever says that alcohol makes you forget things is not telling the truth... it makes hard to remember what you have done the night before but while you're doing it you're honestly conscious of what you are doing, alcohol just takes away the inhibition... Often that's not a good thing because if one wouldn't "normally" do it than you can bet that on most occasions it shouldn't be done!

"It" being whatever!

Don't take me wrong, I do sometimes enjoy a glass of wine, I can always find some good thing to celebrate, but a glass of wine is not 15 pints of beer gulped down in a ridiculously minimal amount of time.

And again, I understand the special occasion, that's fine, but does the ritual have to be repeated every weekend or even worse every second night?

And why a good dinner, a walk and a movie don't cut it anymore? Or has it ever happened up here that a good dinner and a movie were thought of as "a good night oot"?

I don't get it (yes I AM thick!) and I don't see the appeal of girls waking down the road back home looking like trash, speaking even worse, guys who can barely stand and stop puking at every street corner.

£100 for a "good" night out? Thanks but I'd rather be a £15-cheap-date with popcorn at a sci-fi movie... At least escaping from reality on a spaceship is a bit more grand than vomiting when I get home... if I can hold it till there...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know. It's excessive isn't it!Much worse than it used to be in my young day, when the pubs closed at 10 pm! My boy and girl just can't believe that. I want to come to that establishment you propose. The noise in pubs and clubs these days just destroys any possible enjoyment of the music, but then I am, I have been told, just a "boring old f*rt."

Dona said...

Lol... that would make two of us than Andrew!!! :-)

Dona said...

Dear Dona,
I share your thinking about excesses in drinking, eating, etc.
Unfortunately it seems to be the living philosophy now a days. Probably people are frustrated by they normal daylife that during the weekend or in special occasions they want to be "well above lines" as we say in Italy.
They do not realize that with excess they do not solve their problem, but medium term they will face new ones.
I was young and I liked to do "crazy things" with friends, but not as it is today habit.
But probably mine is again generations gap!
Good luck with your campaign,
Daddy

Anonymous said...

i know what you mean! i admit i like to get drunk once in a while, but just to the point of being giggly and happy, not to the point of throwing up/blacking out/not being to walk! why do people do that to themselves?? and so often as well! crazy! and mostly i just get bored at clubs cos the music is crap! why don't people understand that you can dance to good music too?!

Ellie