Wednesday 8 July 2009

Old/New Friends

Mexico was a magical place for many reasons but possibly the most important one and the one I feel I have to talk about has been giving me the opportunity to reconnect with two friends that were kind of "lost"

It wasn't Mexico "per se" but since it happened there it really made my holiday even more special.

I tend to protect the people I write about because I am of that nature so I won't give any names or too many details about them but their stories are pretty amazing and mean quite a lot to me so I want to share them.

One is a girl, a lovely girl who apparently at birth was diagnosed as not being able to survive past her 5th birthday (or there about), she's well past her 30s now and very well. This girl was a passenger a few years ago on one of the cruise ships I was travelling on.
Bond doesn't even cut it as a word to describe what united us.

"Someone" had a plan and she told me things that, even if at that moment I didn't realise, changed my life in so many ways they literally turned inside-out my reality making it exceptional.
She works as a missionary speaker now, has an amazing husband, got one of her dogs from a bush and is one of the persons I admire most amongst all my friends.

I met this girl only once in my life, have been in contact with her for years, lost her because life gets in the middle but found her again... and it was like if nothing had ever changed (or better, things had substantially changed for me but between us everything was just the same...)

The other friend is a guy, a very fascinating person who travelled a lot though, instead of sailing the seven seas, he flys the blue sky.

One day I helped a passenger sort out some problems with her excursions on the ship, and the next day again and the one after again... we became friends... we had dinner together on board a couple of nights and as she was about to disembark the ship she asked me if she could get my email for a guy she knew because she thought I was the "female" version of him and I would make an excellent friend.

I smiled, what a weird way of getting a friend!

But I did give her my email and I did receive a message from this guy a few weeks later.
The message got my answer, and then an answer back and soon this person became essential in a way I can't quite explain for me to get through the long months on the ship.
He got my thoughts and tales about my travels, I got his humor and reflections on daily life.

And I just loved it!

As for the girl, I have met this guy only once in my life, have been in contact with him for years, lost him because life gets in the middle but found him again... and it was like if nothing had ever changed... again.

I love that life challenges you in so many ways and then it surprises you with things you wouldn't expect and, as I'm getting to know my two old/new friends again, I can't help but being grateful for the memories they both brought back and the ones I know I'll build with them from now on.

Love to have you back guys!


No comments: