Saturday 18 July 2009

The best plans are the ones NOT laid out...

I am an organised being... there is no denying it!

Some people would call me a "control freak" but honestly I don't mind if that means I know what is happening... I have to have everything laid out, square and sorted (way before it's needed...) so I can relax.

In September I'll start med school at St. Andrews university and since commuting from Edinburgh presents many options, Stu and I explored a few
So, in view of that, husband and I yesterday took a drive to Inverkeithing to visit the train station. Driving there in the morning and taking the train to Leuchars resulted being our choice for the cheapest and most convenient way to commute.

After having seen the station, the car park and having walked from the car park to the station to see how long it would take me, we decided that it was a good day for a drive and opted for the arrival station close to St. Andrews. Since we had seen where to start we might as well see where it ended and where I'd need to get the bus to get to uni.

So we set off towards Leuchars and once arrived there and seen what we needed to see we headed on to St Andrews. Weather was typical Scottish but we weren't discouraged... After all, when you live here you have to put up with it!

From Inverkeithing, I had called my friend Leia just to check if she was around and maybe have a coffee together when we arrived.

We met at Costa and what was supposed to be just a friendly coffee became a fantastic day of fun together. We moved from Costa to a pub, waited for Leia's boyfriend Andrew to join us after work, realised that "shy" Andrew close to my husband Stuart definitely wasn't so shy and moved over to his restaurant for dinner.

Had a massive bottle of wine, tons of food, weird (but delicious) ice-cream, an undrinkable cocktail that was drunk anyway and... took a couple of pictures!

Yeah... erm... well... funny!



Then we went to the Raisin pub, played pool, met new friends, chose cool songs from the juke-box and, after what seemed like a long long time, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways...

It turned out to be an amazing day, despite the pouring rain, the blister on my foot caused by the new shoes (after all I wasn't really supposed to walk anywhere!!!) and even managed to take home a half sober husband... what a night!

So yeah, sometimes things done on the spur of the moment turn out just as great as the organised ones...

Though never ask me to apply the same principle when I'm dealing with school stuff... the control freak in me may just rebel!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

all the same... driving to Inverkeithing... train to Leuchars... bus to St. Andrews... then repeat on the way back... that all sounds like the most complex and multiple-delay-prone travel plan possible. I reckon you would soon be driving all the way. Still, you have plenty of time yet to get it all planned out and drawn up in a colour-coded map with timings inserted and back-up plans in a different colour on the reverse (I know how you work). And have you bought the St Andy's t-shirt or fleece yet, I wonder...

Dona said...

hahaha... yeah, delays are what Stuart reckons drive me mental until when I'll indeed end up driving up every day... T-shirt is not in my wardrobe yet because according to Leia they only do a big order for the Bute Medical School over Christmas.
I did get my diary though (pink as you would imagine) and I also got my stethoscope but I opted for a Caribbean Blue one (more patient friendly???)
Don't give up on the t-shirt/fleece yet though, I may decide to get just the St. Andys one without having to be Bute! Especially if they have a pink one!!!