Tuesday 26 May 2009

The jet-set life....

2.07am and blogging...
It has been a crazy past few days and I had no time whatsoever to think about what to post so here I am, late at night (or is it early in the morning?) pondering my experience in Monaco.
I had a great time, and though it was expected, it's always nice to realise that work can actually be good fun.
We had a day to prepare and 4 days of really hard work on the track.
What people don't realise it's that the Formula 1 GP is not the only race that goes on in Monaco over the week, there are a lot of other races which require car tuning, trials and competition.
So we do spend pretty much 4 days solid on the race track, in the heat, breathing humid air, eating packed lunches and wearing a uniform that, though looking quite smart, isn't of the finest Egyptian cotton (if you know what I mean...)
This said, one cannot really complain... The food is excellent and abundant, the place is amazing and the company is the finest, with many opportunities for cultural exchanges, for making new friendships and for strengthening some old ones too.
Monaco Red Cross' hospitality is of the highest standard!
I am happy I managed to be part of the team again this year because, by the look of it, I won't be able to join in next year due to exam schedule.
Here are a few pictures that sum up pretty well our 5 incredible days...
Volunteering can be exciting, you know?!?



Welcome to a week of madness... though it's a good one most of the time!

Relaxing before the insanity begins

I found an old friend

The British Team

Guarding the VIP stands

Friendship Drinks - Italy and Belgium united

The Tunnel Team

After all had finished... The people gone... Waiting to be stood off...
I may have crashed... a little...



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How many lives did you save? Or was it a quiet shift? (Well, apart from the dreadful noise of the cars.) Anyway, I expect you'll be glad to get back to the pleasant coolness of a Scottish Summer.

Dona said...

hahaha... I shall say that it was a quiet GP...
My most hurt casualty was a girl who burnt her hand with some hot coffee and then I had a minor sprained ankle... Hardly taxing!
We did see a couple of very interesting car crashes though and that made the experience worth it! (But maybe I shouldn't say that :-p)
Scottish summer seems pretty amazing to me so far... and then, what can beat reuniting with the kitties anyway???