Friday 15 May 2009

It's logical...

Tonight I went for a movie marathon with my friend Dan.

We watched Angels & Demons to end the evening and before that we went to see the new Star Trek since he hadn't seen it yet.

I usually only go to see a movie more than once if I think it's really great and, since I thoroughly enjoyed it the first time, I didn't mind sitting through it again with my friend.

Like when a book is read a second time new details are taken in, the same was for me tonight.

Once passed the explosive special effects, the loud sounds, the fast paced action and the surprises, you start to see the complexity of the characters.
I have never been a real fan of the series (I think those who are call themselves 'Trekkies'). Possibly I have seen just a handful of episodes of the old TV series when I was a kid so I don't remember anything past some of the names and Mr Spock's pointy ears.

And tonight I was indeed intrigued by Mr Spock...

Yes you read it right! Not the pretty face, blue eyes and macho attitude of young Captain Kirk but the internal conflict, repressed emotions and insane logic of the pointy eared Vulcan...
While the internal struggle between the emotions coming from his human heritage and the deep rooted logic coming form his Vulcan half serves the purpose of the character on screen, I found fascinating how these traits are very much the same exact ones that can be fond in a real person.
As Spock struggles every moment to master the acceptance of these dualities in himself so do we, pulled by the two sides of the same coin.
The passion versus moderation, the mind versus the heart, the known versus the unknown...
Are we driven by our emotions or by our intellect?
And how do we reconcile those two things?

Some people more than others are prompt to follow their feelings while some others do rely on logic... This doesn't mean that the counterpart is absent, just dormant or voluntarily repressed.

After almost every consideration he makes, Spock ends the track of thoughts with the statement "It's logical"; almost as if, by saying it, he wanted to convince himself rather than those around him.

My brother and I are textbook examples of the two extremes, I feel more than I think and he thinks more than he feels... or so it seems. If a battle is going on inside you would never know, but this doesn't mean that it's not occurring.
Two voices in the same head, two points of view of the same scene... Why do we choose one rather than the other may depend on so many variables the outcome is hardly forseeable...
It's not what you see, it's what you are unlikely to see of a person that's alluring!

So tonight, while really enjoying the glamour of Hollywood's version of space on a big screen and agreeing on how it is only "logical" I'd make these kind of considerations, I asked myself:

"Would I suit pointy ears?"

Can I say yes???




No comments: