Wednesday 30 September 2009

To number 686...

Dear number 686,

You don't know me yet and I still haven't had the pleasure to meet you though I'm looking forward to that happening in a couple of days.
Today I saw the place where we'll meet... It gets crowded and there will be many people in there so we won't really have a quiet time together but I'm sure we'll like each other... I already feel I like you!
And this is because you have given me an incredible gift that will help me become the doctor I aim to be and for this I'll be eternally grateful. Through your gift I'll gain knowledge, confidence and skills. I promise always to be respectful and try my best to do things right with you. I'll come prepared for our meetings and I'll be very careful to make the most of what I'll learn from you!

I'm glad we never met before, it would have made the next few months a bit awkward otherwise and I possibly wouldn't be able to enjoy your gift as much but this doesn't mean that I wouldn't have been curious to hear what you have done before coming to St Andrews... Who knows? Maybe one day I will find out...

I wish I could tell you a bit about myself, it seems a bit unfair that I'll be able to discover your innermost secrets and you don't even know my name.
I'm really looking forward to be with you and I am really appreciative and a bit emotional thinking that if it weren't for you and others like you I wouldn't have the amazing opportunity of discovering what makes our bodies so special!

So here is my thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to you my cadaver, one day I'll know your name but for the moment you're number 686 and I already feel like we have a connection!

Dona x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who has signed the forms to one day lie where 686 will lie I almost feel entitled to speak on behalf of 686 and say "You're welcome. Learn and enjoy." I am positive that's what 686 would have said.

Dona said...

Dear Dona,
before understanding what #686 was I was a bit worried about your declaration of...."love"!
Now I understand what you meant. I am proud of you because if you respect the body of a dead person, for sure you will respect the live person.
Are you going to do all the job by jourself or you will work with somebody else?
Let me know and good luck!
Kiss, Papinho