Friday 5 February 2010

Limelight

Tonight I made arrangements to meet a few friends for dinner.
It's restaurant week in New York when all the most expensive, most renowned, most famous restaurants open their doors to the "commoners" and for a mere $35 one can get a 3 course dinner. Even though one shouldn't forget to still add the cost of drinks, taxes and tips the experience is well worth it!

So, for such a special occasion I decided to dress up to my best!
Since when I arrived in NY two weeks ago I have been wearing nothing but jeans (safe the suit I had on today at the medical conference) so the pretty and floaty skirt I choose for such a night feels just right.

I put on my make-up, gorgeous dangling earrings, do my nails, a touch a sparkling body cream, black stilettos on and none of these Hollywood actresses has anything on me!
As I start walking down the road I catch a glimpse of myself reflected in the American Eagle shop window and I smile, I look good! And of course the "Italian-from-Milan" princess inside me is fairly content.

I even manage to collect a couple of compliments as I walk towards the restaurant and though of course I don't respond (ladies never do!), I nod in self-approval...

But, as I bask in this moment of happiness, with my head in the clouds, surrounded by the bright lights of Times Square, I completely forget that I am wearing a skirt and walk straight on to one of those subway grids...
Yeah...
You guessed it...
My skirt lifted right up to my head and it took me a while to realise what was going on!!!
So this time instead of a couple of comments I get a full blown applause and cheers from the people who were in Times Square assisting to a charity concert for Haiti!!!

Could I have picked a more inappropriate moment to do such a thing?!? Possibly not!!!
Me being me I'm sure my face (and hopefully just that!) will be remembered for time to come here in the theatre district!

Oh well, I got my 5 minutes of glory in Manhattan, not many people can say that... but I'm back in my jeans already and will stay that way till when I'll get used to the evil subway drafts (or learn to watch where I go!)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me glad I've never worn a kilt.

Dona said...

I'm sure you would have gotten many more cheers than me! ;-)