Wednesday 3 February 2010

Runner up, and up, and up...

If the thought of a broken escalator fills you with dread you may consider staying away from the race I'm talking about!

Today people from 19 states and 17 different countries met in the lobby of the Empire State building for the annual Run-Up race from the foyer to the Observation Deck located on the 86th floor. The race covers 1576 steps... Now, I don't know about you but when sometimes the elevator in my building is broken I really don't relish the idea of climbing the steps to get to the 5th floor... But to the 86th?!? This event isn't really calling my name out loud!


This said it is quite typical of the extremes you can encounter in a city like NY where anything is "normal" and everything moves at such a pace that it takes a while for your head to stop spinning.

There was no shortage on New Yorkers who completed this race under intriguing circumstances and my appreciation goes to Ginette Bedard who completed the race in only 22:35, Ginette is 76, of French origins and she apparently just said "Oh la la!" once she finally reached the top... what a legend!

Safe for emergencies the ESB's staircase is only open once a year on this occasion so the runners always race through stale air and with a cloud of dust at every step. Considering how freezing and humid the air is at the 86th floor the runners end up racing into a big cloud and all remarked how wonderful that is.

This is an invitation only run and people wishing to participate should contact the New York Road Runners Club stating they wish to join... As much as I'm in awe of the people attempting the race, something tells me that I won't look up their number anytime in the near future though...

No comments: