Wednesday 3 February 2010

Overheard in New York

One has to love New York and its people... There is such a variety of ideas, cultures, backgrounds and humour that it is almost impossible to go around town and not pay attention to conversations of those passing by, especially if like me you love to learn the local "stuff".


Yesterday has been a day full of jems... I heard a few more but these four really put a smile on my face.... I'm sure it'll be just the same for you!




Black guy on the street: Hey girl! You lookin' fine... I'm gonna do things to you... Yup, lots of... things!
His friend: Like, what you gonna do to her?
Black guy on the street: Things man, I said things!!
- In Union Square


Dad: Don't tell me what to do, you're not the boss.
Little daughter: You're not the boss too!
Dad: Then who's the boss?
Little daughter: Obama is the boss!
- At 46th & 7th


Older lady to a little barking dog: Shut up! This is not your sidewalk!
- In Times Square


Middle-aged woman: So, is she like, skinny pregnant?
Friend: Yeah, she looks like a model
Middle-aged woman: Good! There is just no excuse to gain weight during pregnancy!
- In Starbucks at the Rockefeller Centre

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed these Dona. Hope the time in the hospital is proving interesting too, and that your Italian ways are not driving them too crazy. I suppose in New York they should be more used to such things than we are in St Andrews and Perth :)

Dona said...

hahaha... well, if you want to have a real laugh, I've been here almost two weeks now and every sinle new person I met so far is Italian!!!
Even the two people I'm training with at the moment are from Italy so I guess the hospital did it on purpose figuring I'd be a bit overwhelming for someone not used to me! ;-)
Loving it though... Really good way of combining holiday with medical knowledge!