Friday 29 July 2011

Alexander McQueen art

Before leaving for Mexico I went to the Metropolitan Museum to see the infamous Alexander McQueen exhibit.
Italian and fashionista as I am I had to!

I also have to confess that I wasn't very familiar with his creations. I had heard his name a few times but never looked into any of his collections, sort of dismissing it for being too blunt and, according to me, unwearable.
After meeting with two friends and queuing for over 2h we finally managed to get in and what I found was incredible.

Besides the striking designs of his garments I found that they always seem to tell a story.
He described himself as a manic-depressive romantic... and it showed!
The whole setting that was created to host the exhibit brought you into the mind of this incredibly troubled fashion genius which created not only wearable pieces (yes, some of them are indeed wearable!) but art in its proper form.

He took his own life in February 2010 and we'll never know why.
One can only speculate about what was bothering his soul so much and this agony was perhaps reflected in his creations.

The fact that most often than not his models always wore a dress with a headpiece completely covering their face made me wonder... Was he trying to hide something? Was he uncomfortable with human nature?
Structures, unusual textures, rips and tears, feathers and wings accompanied several of his most famous pieces like if he had to try and escape a hard reality.

So here is an homage to a very troubled genius, he left an incredible legacy and some very serious questions about what is around us...


No comments: