Thursday 28 January 2010

With too much time on my hands...

Well, I made it to Amsterdam on a quite uneventful flight, or so it seemed since I slept the whole time. I got told form an announcement on board that there was no way I'd make my flight so I took it easy and let the rest of the crowd run ahead before I made my way to the transfer desk... to my dismay there was not a single soul on site.

Are you kidding me, KLM?!? After all your flights are delayed on arrival you don't have any staff at the transfer desk?!? I sighed and decided to give a chance to one of the 30 automatic check-in stations lined up in front of me... which turned out to be a brilliant idea.

Not only the machine read my passport without any problems (that's a first!!!) but I also got my new boarding pass, a voucher for 15 Euros for lunch, 10 Euros for a phone call and 2000 points to be credited on my frequent flyer card and all of this just because I missed my connection flight... can't really complain! Today was just meant to be travel day anyway so it doesn't matter at what time I ultimately make it to NY.

I find myself with loads of free time on my hands now though... My flight is not until 17.45 and it's barely 2pm so the first thing I need to do is to get food.
You guessed it, I went to look for the sushi place and found it. I had a good go at it... My vegetarian meal was loaded on a flight I won't be on so, unless I make the best of this voucher, I'll be starving all the way to the big apple!


Next is duty-free shops browsing... There is a lovely local Delicatessen one with all sorts of cheeses and wild salmons, wafers, truffle oils and more chocolate than my brain could ever take in so I decided that's not safe for either my shape or my wallet and decide to do elsewhere...

My next stop is a Flowers and Bulbs shop, I am definitely in Holland! Too bad I will not be passing through Amsterdam on the way back from NY, I was considering getting a vase of tulips for my flat... Both my cats and I love tulips... alas, not for the same reasons!!!

Then something caught my eye... this booth called Back to Life... What could it be? A charity? A service dealing with people traumatised by traveling? Back to Life from where?! I had to go and check it out... Trying not to look too suspicious I approached the booth and had a look around; it turned out to be a massage parlour! Aaahhhh.... I didn't dare ask what kind of massage would bring someone "back to life" but the place was empty and I had been noticed so I decided it was time to keep on exploring and casually made my way back to the main area from where I came.

I ended up buying a pair of sparkling earrings and hair clips at an Accessorize shop... nothing really out of the ordinary since that's the same exact shop I go to in Scotland but I have decided to save my money to shop in NY.

I'm quite tired now, I just made it to the gate and still have about 2 hours to go before I can board. My eyes are closing and a few people sitting around me are desperately trying to see what I'm furiously typing on my keyboard but I won't let them!

Time to say goodbye now, I'll rest a bit before getting on the plane and then enjoy the movies on board...

More to follow from the crazy city I'm heading to... unless this plane throws a tantrum too!!!

No comments: