Sunday 31 January 2010

The strange case of the missing towels

The hotel I'm staying at in NY (The Paramount) is amazing. Located just half a block from Times Square, this is the ideal location to enjoy sightseeing, fine dining, great shows and a fabulous atmosphere.

I don't have a bad word to say about anything. The room is spotless, the location great, the staff super friendly, the wi-fi really fast... except... I have been missing towels for a week now.

For some strange reason every night I come back from my day out and I have to call in at the front desk and report that the towels are missing from my room... And every night, just about 5 minutes after my chat to the front house manager a housekeeper knocks at my door with a warm set of fresh towels...


Still, it is beyond me how I had to ask for them for 6 nights in a row.
I'm annoyed, frustrated and to be honest also a bit baffled at this continuous lack of attention from the housekeeping department.
Have I upset anyone in such a way I deserve to be left without towels? Is my room under a spell and it becomes invisible when the housekeeping girls replenish the towel supply? Do they think I only need to shower once a week????
I'm puzzled to say the least!
Last night I even heard the front of the house manager speak to the housekeeping manager and giving her strict instructions on how to make sure I have towels in my room at all times... So why do I never have them?!?

Tonight again I'm towel-less when I return from a hard day out shopping, so I go and speak to lovely Amanda, the manager. I am not amused but keep it decent as I know it's not her fault. There MUST be a problem somewhere, I can't believe this is happening in such a hotel and after so many reports.

Five minutes later the housekeeper brings in new towels, five minutes after that Amanda shows up at my door to inspect the room and with her there is a guy from room service bringing in goodies to help quiet my frustration (ice-cream and hot chocolate, a girl's dream!!!)


Look here, look there and the towels are nowhere to be seen... Until... Amanda walks to the very end of the bathroom, looks straight in the mirror, tilts her head slightly to the left side and says: "Oh, but they are here!"

Here? Here where? Where in the name of goodness are these towels?!
"Here -she says- behind the mirror!"

BEHIND THE MIRROR?!?!

Yes, behind the mirror... and I:

1) Feel like an idiot for every single time I went to complain for the lack of towels in my room
2) Cringe at the potent laughter I know this post will raise with my followers
3) Know that I may look like a numpty to everyone present in the room at this moment but cradle my shattered ego in the concept that how in the world was I supposed to find the towels behind the mirror anyway?
4) Can't wait for everyone to leave me alone with the goodies they have brought up because, even if I possibly don't deserve them, I am fairly pleased I got them
5) Think that maybe tomorrow I may go down and see Amanda at the front desk asking for towels just so I don't lose the habit!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Dona! You silly minnie! That story lightened up my day, I hope youre having a whale of a time in NY, im super jealous since im stuck in bed with a chest infection...bleuyfghsugh! See you when you get back and we'll have a famjam, lots of love mummy xxx

Anonymous said...

Still some way to go in the diagnosis skills eh? Remember that next time you just can't see the cause. And "buffled"? Buffled? I just LOVE that Dona word (though I presume you mean baffled) :)

Dona said...

Oh Andrew, you should know me better than that! Had it been "baffled" it wouldn't have been a Dona's word ;-)
Regarding the diagnosis skills... erm... yeah... still a tad ahead of me, lol...
The ice-cream was awesome though!!!

lauretta said...

no, vabbè... FANTASTICA :-D