Tuesday 26 January 2010

New York bound...

So, I've been absent for quite a while from my blog and have now resumed writing during this little peaceful break from university.
Life has been hectic as it usually is for me and with a few surprises... Some not that welcome but I usually manage to cope with anything so I'm sure it'll be just the same this time.

At the moment I'm sitting at Edinburgh airport waiting for my flight to New York. It was supposed to take off an hour ago but I'm still here waiting for it to arrive from Amsterdam where apparently it broke. Just my luck!
As in all situations though, there is a positive side to it and I struck up a conversation with this lovely older guy who is originally from here but planted in Chicago since 36 years.
He told me how he spent most of his life in the army and even pulled out a black and white picture older than I am of him in uniform with kilt and all... how sweet!
I found out that his daughter is in the Navy, that he's going home after having visited his brother for his 65th birthday and that he just got to meet his first great grandson who is just 18 months old.

I feel refreshed by the conversation.I can see the pride in this man's eyes as he speaks about his family. Coming from a tight family myself, I'm loving this!

In a bid to keep myself entertained in this small departure lounge I wander to W H Smith and start looking for a book to read. It doesn't matter that I already have one in my handbag and another three in my suitcase, a book never goes to waste, sooner or later I'll get to it!
So I fond this one called "What's up Doc?" by a certain Dr Hilary Jones who turns out to be a guy (despite the Hilary name!) and I decided to get it since "what best to buy when you're a baby doctor yourself?". Hopefully it will provide insight and inspiration and if not, at least I hope it'll make time pass.

I get myself a skinny caramel latte at Costa as a little treat and settle in the chair at the gate waiting for my plane to land... except that the board is flashing a green banner saying "Boarding" and the plane isn't even here yet...
Does that mean that they are boarding in Amsterdam? Or at some other gate? the departure board still displays gate 3 which is where I'm sitting at the moment so I should be ok... Maybe I'll even make my connection in the Netherlands as the staff will come and get me like a celebrity at the plane with one of those ridiculous carts that are quite useful when you're late but really should only be allowed on golf courses they are that ugly!
In such a case I doubt that: 1) my bags will follow me swiftly, 2) I'll be treated like a celebrity and 3) I'll look fashionable on the ugly cart but I'll suck it up in the name of the connection flight!
Worst case scenario they have a lovely sushi restaurant so I'll stop there for my favourite snack.
It has been a hell of a month and I'm desperately looking forward to a break with one of my best friends in NY and to some cool American medical training (chances of me turning into a real life Dr. House?!?)

Oh... plane has finally landed... I'm off... But I'll be back soon, I promise! ... Most likely from Amsterdam where I'll definitely miss my connection!!!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you Dona. Watch out for these older men chatting you up in airports though :) And by the way, when you say "should only be allowed on golf courses they are that ugly" you weren't thinking of me by any chance were you? I have a date on the golf course with Big Alex tomorrow morning so I better get to sleep now and plan my cunning strategy.

Dona said...

Hey Andrew,
How did your cunning strategy work then?!?
I'm having a great time in NY and managing to relax, finally!
Looking forward to come back though Mt Sinai is doing a very good job at keeping me entertained here... I went to see the infamous "Bodies" exhiition and wrote a piece, a definite must see!
I'll chat to you properly once I'm back home :-)

Anonymous said...

The match with big Alex ended up as a draw - not as cunning as I thought I was :) Good to hear you are having an enjoyable and doubtless beneficial time in NY