Tuesday 21 April 2009

The Chemistry Of Life

Well, for starters my life is surrounded and dipped in chemistry!
I am a chemical being, my body works thanks to chemical reactions, I live in a world full of chemicals and my dad has a degree in industrial chemistry...
Sooo, all of this ideally should make me an expert!
But an expert I am not...

Through the course I'm doing I have started to understand a few amazing concepts such as the mechanisms of our bodies, some of our interactions with the environment, factors essential to the humanity survival. The whole lot is absolutely fascinating!

Learning it though is a bit daunting.

Formulas, elements, numbers, masses, moles, values, atoms, forces, orbitals...



And then there was Andrew, our chemistry overly patient and incredibly dedicated lecturer which has made a big difference in this journey of chemistry discovery... for me at least!

So suddenly things have become a bit clearer and, though far from fully grasping the concept of the chemistry of life, I have certainly come to appreciate some things which were obscure and slightly frightening. I have started to make the connections that will expand into the next year, into different fields, into my future.

Today was the last day of proper chemistry teaching I'll ever sit at Perth College and I can't believe I'm saying this but I'll miss the class.
Through the ups and downs of it all, despite the resentment I felt when lack of sleep during exam preparation made me hate the subject, I can honestly say that chemistry has touched my life

Including all the silly little mistakes that took away marks from my exams but made my journey at least a wee bit more fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you managed to find some pleasure in chemistry through all the pain! And thanks for the nice, if over-generous, feedback. Keep studying, but not too sleeplessly, for the 11th though. The final hurdle.