Friday 14 November 2008

My first patient...

Have you ever tried to imagine how does a doctor feel when he has to deal with his first patient?

And no, I'm not talking about the first patient of the day, the one that comes right after your morning coffee, the one that you'll fight not to yawn at, the one that inevitably will keep you longer than you wish but not because you don't like him or her, just because it's the first patient of the day and anyone would be too much at 8 in the morning...

I'm talking about the first real patient, the one you've been waiting for and dreaming of, the first one that will feel how cold your stethoscope is, will admire your nervous smile and understand that actually, you just turned into a doctor!

Have you ever wondered if you'll say the right thing, follow the right procedure and chant the right diagnosis?

I had a taste of that today...

Right, to be fair I didn't have to use the stethoscope, smile, pronounce a diagnosis or even entertain... To be honest it wasn't even close to 8am!

But how cool was it to follow a procedure and take care of the patient making sure he was alright while I was administering the medication?


Oh right, you people, it was just Storm, but it's a beginning and it's telling me that's exactly what I want to do.. and we all have to start somewhere don't we?!?

No comments: