Monday 5 April 2010

Mediocrity

Mediocrity... Is something I don't understand...

Mediocrity, the way I see it, is not reaching your full potential as a person. Unfortunately I see a lot of it and it has nothing to do with not having the possibility.
If you do your best with what you're given you're not mediocre, if you put everything you have into a dream, a project, an idea than you've defeated mediocrity... But if you continually find excuses not to get out of something that you don't like, than you fulfill the stereotype... completely!

The dictionary defines a mediocre person as "not exceptional in any way especially in quality or ability, size or degree" but to me it goes beyond that... There are so many people out there that live half way between where they were placed and where they could be.
They choose to achieve only a part of what they have the potential to do and sit there complaining of how they don't like the situation they are in, or even worse thinking they are better than those around them.

It's not what you have that brings you out of mediocrity - you can still be a very mediocre filthy rich person - but your value as a human being is completely wasted.

Too many people are happy to just sit in the middle, choosing to be a half-hearted professional, member of the family, worker, believer, atheist, performer, participant in this life...
I'd have a lot more respect for them if I'd see them putting everything they have and are into developing any of these sides as much as I may not agree with some of them.
What are you doing with your gifts? Are they making you a better person? What are you contributing to what is surrounding you?

Mediocrity is the easy way out of everything. A mediocre being absorbs what it can but without giving anything in return... I much more like those "glow-in-the-dark" stickers, they don't make it obvious that they are collecting light but when the darkness comes they shine through because they are able to utilise it when it's needed.

A better person will use the ability he/she has been gifted with to make something of them. These are row materials to be used and it takes work to transform them into something of value... if you dare you breach the wall of mediocrity, if you work for it, even if it's hard, you're the better one off, if you are not afraid of giving it your best shot, even if it looks impossible, than it doesn't matter if you make it or not, it's what spark you put back in the life that has been given to you that makes you shine as the person you are now choosing NOT to be...

Get up from your bottom, have the courage to take the steps it takes to better yourself in whatever field you need to, don't settle with 99% if you can get 100% because, even if 99% is an excellent achievement, if you have the potential of getting to 100% and you don't than you're still mediocre!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah now, you are making me feel guilty Dona, for not trying hard enough at some stuff I still want to do, but you know, some of us just get... well... a little tired and disillusioned (must be my age). Anyway, I have your stern words ringing in my ears now, so I will indeed try to "have the courage to take the steps it takes to better" myself. Oh well, and I was looking forward to a wee rest... You are a hard taskmaster... (but thanks for the motivation)

Dona said...

Hehe... Andrew, believe it or not, I have the post printed and up on my wall because I have the tendency to try and slip into mediocrity too every so often!!!
It's a good reminder for anybody that, as we say in Italy (and I guess you guys say the same here) "it's not over until when it's over"... So, get moving!!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh.. I thought it wasn't over "until the fat lady sings", but of course you are not in your native Italia right now, and in NYC it probably is "It's not over till it's over". (I think your added "when" was another bit of the charming "DonaSpeak". We love it - I was discussing it with Ruth about two weeks ago, on which point, I have a confession to make to you Dear Dona, but I think I'll wait and make it in person. Don't worry, nothing serious, just a wee bit of DonaSpeak I truly love, but have never corrected, due to initial shyness, and then later my love of it, and Margaret's, but we need to deal with it before you qualify as there are clinical situations where it might prove awkward. Intrigued? Ha ha.. (that last bit was a clue).