Thursday 12 March 2009

NOTE TO SELF - Breakfast before surgery is good!

Today was another day of clinical placement at the hospital

As usual Nina and I met at the cafe at 8am and had a nice catch up chat till about quarter to 9 and then made a move to speak to our two consultants and see what exciting things they had in store for us today.
Before leaving the hospital cafe to go to the ward I remembered last week and how noisy my stomach was an hour after surgery started because I hadn't had any breakfast so, not wanting to repeat the same embarrasing thing I prepared!
Biscuit in the handbag and off we went to work...

Today was day surgery. Pretty different from the normal theatre life.
I have to say that (... and this is just for reflective purposes...) that some of the people who were operated today looked so sore to me that I wouldn't have sent them home for at least a week let alone a couple of hours later but anyway... I suppose doctors know better, or at least they should!

Our green scrubs on and Nina and I proudly marched into the day surgery theatre.
First surgery was repair of an hernia...
Surgeon cuts, surgeon pulls, surgeon explains... and my stomach goes mental!!!

"Oh no! I forgot the biscuit!"
And that was me... I started to feel a bit weak because of lack of sugar and decided that sneaking to the changing room to grab a couple of bites off the biscuit I had just bought would have been great so I could quickly return into the theatre to enjoy some more cutting up... It was a master plan but... well, it didn't go quite that way.
I did ask to leave to go and eat the biscuit! I said I was wanting to go away for just a moment and started walking towards the door... Before I could actually realise what was going on 5 nurses followed me, grabbed me, brutally chucked me on a bed, leaned the bed at an angle so to have my feet higher than my head and put a cold compress on my forehead... "Don't worry" they said... It's ok to faint... it always happens the first times!

WHAT?!?!

I didn't even see it coming, I was just going to grab a quick bite... :-S
"But I was not about to faint!" I protested "I'm just starving!"
Well, same result as talking to a wall... They were determined to save me!
It didn't matter at all I told them I just needed breakfast ...to make it clear I even considered explaining that I was actually taking great pleasure in seeing all the gory bits but I'm afraid they would have looked at me as a little monster so I refrained!
They said I was really pale but hey, since when I live in Scotland I'm Casper - the revenge!!!
They said my pulse was slow but my pulse is naturally like that...
Oh well, since I lost the battle I took it with philosophy and laughed about it... probably they have loads of people fainting... obviously seen how fast they reacted.

And at least now I have definitely learnt my lesson and know to have breakfast before I go into surgery, so I don't scare anybody and my stomach stops being noisy in the least appropriate moments!

No comments: